Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Back to Congo, sickness and birthday--2009

Shortly after coming back to Congo after the camp, I got sick with malaria ovale. It hit me pretty hard, as although this type won't kill me, I can relapse any time. No fun. Then about a month later, I had to be rushed to the hospital with some kind of massive infection (which they never properly diagnosed cause they threw away my blood after injecting me with antibiotics). My mom thinks it was salmonella. The hospital released me, but I had to go back every day for a week to get intravenous antibiotics. Real torture. My poor veins kept collapsing. Then around November, when I was just starting to recover, me and Madlen woke up one morning with these horrible bites on our feet and ankles, terribly painful. So it was back to hospital, but they just gave us more antibiotics and some creams to stop the infection. It healed up eventually, but left these horrible round purple scars on our feet and I have to keep putting make up on them...or wear socks! Wish I had been diagnosed then what my mom found out later. In any case, I decided to get my hair braided African style! And I was well enough to celebrate my 18th birthday with Mylene and my parents for the traditional pizza.

Celebrating my 18th birthday with Mom, Dad and Mylene at pizzeria


With Mylene on the left


Getting my hair done--boy, that was painful!

No comments:

Post a Comment